Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post Mortem

President-elect Obama wins.

1. The Congressional GOP was a big cause of this disaster. In 2006, when Pres. Bush was being assailed by Democrats and their media wing on Social Security and on Iraq, a significant number of GOP Congressmen got cold feet and abandoned Bush to his fate. At the same time, they passed pork-laden bill after another and Pres. Bush showed loyalty to them by approving said pork. When the GOP Congress did this to Bush, the bottom dropped out on his popularity and he became a lead weight on the party as a whole. In other words, significant parts of the mealy-mouthed, craven GOP Congress created the conditions for their own downfall by abandoning the head of the party when he needed them most.

2. John McCain ran a timid campaign but in the end, still did an acceptable job. Sarah Palin was a net boon for the party rather than a net loss because her selection created conditions for a future resurgence. As much as I dislike McCain’s approach to governing (skewering his own party while “reaching across the aisle” to “get things done”), he to this day deserves all the credit in the world for what he did last fall in speaking out eloquently in support of victory in Iraq. That should be his legacy. Now, let us hear no more about McCain again.

3. I refuse to be an unhinged equivalent of the left-wing, Fahrenheit 9/11, “Death of a President”, MoveOn.org, DailyKos pieces of crap that undermined this country for the past eight years. Without anyone to hate, I hope those assholes wither on the vine. Hopefully, we can say good riddance to those idiots.

4. I will put up with Obama triumphalism and “What an historic moment” bs for one week because I am magnanimous. After that, if you bring that saccharine bs my way, I become passive/aggressive by pretending to be magnanimous while ripping out your throat. Thank you.

No comments: